How do startup founders scale their own person and mindset when making the first key hires and laying the ground for a winning team culture?
Ask any serial entrepreneur what the biggest gamechanger for startup success is, and they will most likely point out having the right people on the team. Ask any investor the same question, and they will tell you product, business model, idea and KPIs are secondary to a superstar team.
Therefore, we are dedicating our second Aarhus-bound StartupTalk to learnings on setting the right team for your startup – especially recruiting key hires early on who have a profound understanding of the company’s core DNA and vision, so they can spread the right cultural values downwards in the organisation as the startup grows.
If they could, many founders would probably prefer to clone themselves as their growth requires more resources than the founder team can handle. Making the first key hires are both vital and challenging in an early stage startup, as the idea and vision are so deeply rooted in the founder team – they are the birth-givers to the entire company and can therefore tell and sell the story like no one else.
This StartupTalk zooms in on people strategies in early stage startups by looking at:
- If not cloning, how can you as a founder (team) then scale yourself and your mindset into the foundation of the organisation as you begin to build it at the early stages of the maturity journey?
- Step one is to know what it requires to build a winning team and culture.
- The next is to find, attract and recruit the right people from the get-go.
- Finally, how do onboard them the right way in an organization, which by virtue is undergoing major organizational changes as a startup, without losing touch with company vision, culture and values?
16.45-17.10: Nicolaj Højer Nielsen (Business Angel): Introduction
17.10-17.50: Mads Klarskov Petersen (PreSeed Ventures): How to build the right team & organizational structure without making deadly mistakes
17.50-18.05: Break – snacks and drinks
18.05-18.45: Marie Mathiesen (Qvest): How Qvest has taken on the challenge of recruiting key hires early stage
18.45-19.10: Q&A session
19.10-19.30: Stay for good talks and a last beer
– Nicolaj Højer Nielsen is our trusted partner in crime at PreSeed Academy as well as a Business Angel and Author of the Startup Funding Book.
– Mads Klarskov Petersen is our Director of Talent at PreSeed Ventures and by the means of his position he has seen and helped hundreds of startup teams. On that basis, he will share hands-on advice on how you as a founder can avoid the most deadly mistakes in regards to setting the right team and organizational structure early stage.
– Marie Mathiesen is co-founder and CEO of Qvest, an online questionnaire tool that enables change and understanding of organizational dynamics, has been through the process of recruiting key hires at different stages. Combined with having organizational change as part of Qvest’s service, she of all understands the importance of recruiting the right people the right way.
The event is free to attend. Due to the limited number of seats we’re enforcing a no-show fee: If you have signed up but do not show up, we will invoice you 200 kr.
The startup school PreSeed Academy is pioneered by PreSeed Ventures in collaboration with Nicolaj Højer Nielsen and has developed from a strong desire to make early stage startups succeed. We have a series of events planned for you in 2019, an ambitious mix of talks, masterclasses and walk-in sessions, so make sure to stay tuned at www.preseedacademy.dk
By signing up for PreSeed Academy events, you accept PreSeed Ventures A/S and Nicolaj Højer Nielsen to collect and process your email for relevant updates and information about future events.